As of today, all customers' hosting has been upgraded to the latest and greatest version of the Ensim hosting software, Ensim Pro X. With the upgrade comes a new theme or two, as shown below, making administration of your website considerably easier.
Ensim Pro X also features an announcement section, however announcements will continue to be served via this section of the discussion forum because it allows for much greater flexibility for both myself and customers.
Other backend software has also been updated:
- PHP 5.2.4 is newly available in tandem with PHP 4.4.4 - upgraded from previously running version - and which is what customers are currently using. This is in anticipation of the end of official support for PHP 4, when tandem PHP support will end and PHP 4 will be switched off in favour of the newer version. Consult your website's webmaster about how/if the change will affect you.
- Linux CentOS has been upgraded to version 4.5.
- phpMyAdmin has been upgraded.
- mySQL has been upgraded.
In addition to the new software, some new features have also been added.
- Secure mail access (POP3 and IMAP).
- Disk usage is further broken down, so you can see where you are using up space.
- Advanced DNS management for more detailed domain settings.
- Webdav (Wikipedia) support
- SMTP access via port 26 in addition to the current standard port 25. ISPs commonly block port 25, which is used by third party mail services.
There is one feature removal. As of this upgrade, Powertools will no longer be offered. Powertools are quick-install setups of common web software and Ensim are unfortunately pretty useless at keeping them consistently up to date, obviously this is essential when security patches are released so I've taken the initiative to avoid a potential disaster and disabled them entirely. I've always encouraged and performed manual setups anyway, so this should not affect anyone except new users who would otherwise be expecting Powertools.
Coming soon is an upgrade to your website's backup system....
By RedTyger (Administrator) RedTyger is offline 15th October, 2007.